When news happens, text ROMS and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
County refuses to put farm back into minerals plan
9:00am Tuesday 9th October 2012 in News
A COUNTY councillor believes the latest stage in Hampshire’s plan for gravel and mineral extraction is further good news for campaigners in Shootash and Awbridge.
A meeting of the full council backed the county’s Waste and Mineral Plan that specifically excluded any extension to designated sites for mineral extraction.
Roy Perry said this was positive news for those who feared their efforts to protect the Stanbridge Ranvilles Farm site, at Shootash, from gravel and sand extraction had been undermined.
Campaigners from Awbridge and Shootash spent four years fighting to protect the farm site, in Old Salisbury Lane, after it was earmarked by HCC for the plan. They thought they had secured victory when it was removed from the draft plan but Raymond Brown Minerals and Recycling Ltd made an objection at a public inquiry in June, calling for the farm site to be put back on the list.
Raymond Brown already has permission to open a new sand and gravel pit at nearby Roke Manor Farm and objectors feared the impact of smell, noise, dust and lorry movements which could be caused by a second gravel pit.
Roy Perry, member for Romsey Extra, said: “Sites in Romsey Extra especially at Shootash and even at Halterworth are vulnerable to bids for gravel extraction so it is good news the county Mineral and Waste Plan clearly states this is not necessary.
Raymond Brown did not want to comment.