AFC TOTTON have confirmed that Louis Langdown will be the man to lead them into the next Southern One South & West season.

Chairman Wayne Mew today scotched rumours that a new manager is being lined up as part of the Stags’ transformation from a members’ club to a limited company.

“Louis and Adam (Wilde, assistant manager) are doing just fine and there is no need to alter anything,” stressed Mew.

“We’re trying to build from the bottom up and these guys are steady.

“Since they’ve come in their record has shaped up as well as anyone’s.”

After guiding the Stags to ten points from the last 12, Langdown was desperately unlucky not to preside over another victory this afternoon.

But, having dominated for nigh on 90 minutes, they lost 1-0 at home to Mangotsfield United who ended the game with ten men.

The Stags began with all the confidence of a side in form and, after just 27 seconds, a sweeping move ended with Nathaniel Sherborne laying the ball back for Mark Gamble to fire narrowly wide.

A Sherborne shot then cleared the bar from distance and young debutant Matt Bozier’s effort followed a similar flightpath from Harry Medway’s long throw as Totton continued to look the likelier to break the deadlock.

On 16 minutes wideman Curtis Young did the hard work of leaving full-back Tom Fry on his backside, only to let himself down with a wild finish.

All the while, Totton’s AFC Bournemouth loanee goalkeeper Pat O’Flaherty was having a relatively comfortable time of it in the face of a brisk wind and was scarcely troubled until the 24th minute when Mitch Tippins thumped one over from the edge of the box for the visitors.

On 31 minutes Mangos’ Tom Warren went into the book for a foul on Charlie Gunson and, from the Totton free-kick, centre-back Medway planted a header wide.

The Stags then conceded a free-kick when Ian Oliver bundled over Liam Monelle. The No 9’s delivery held up in the wind and O’Flaherty played safety first, palming it behind for a corner.

On 40 minutes Alfy Whittingham had a glorious chance to add to his goal at Paulton Rovers on Tuesday.

But, having brought Oliver’s pass under control with his first touch, he failed to make contact with his second, allowing keeper Steve Phillips to gather one-on-one.


Whittingham had two good early second-half chances for Totton, but again he couldn't find a finish.

He hit the first straight at Phillips after cutting in from the left and dancing his way across the area.

Then, after Sherborne had hit the ball goalwards from Connor York’s lay-off, Whittingham failed to get hold of his shot properly and, once again, Phillips was untroubled.

The Mangos’ keeper then got comfortably behind a Bozier header but, five minutes later, he made a quality save, miraculously preventing Sherborne’s deft curling shot from sneaking into the far corner.

Sherborne soon shone again, turning and driving the ball across the six-yard box where Gamble just failed to make contact.

But, from being in total control, Totton fell behind to the softest of 63rd-minute goals.

A tame cross came in from the left and, with the Stags switching off, MONELLE could barely believe his luck as he got in behind O’Flaherty to bundle the ball in with second touch.

Monelle then forced a routine save from O’Flaherty as the Mangos began to get on top.

But on 76 minutes the visitors were reduced to ten men when Warren – already cautioned in the first-half – was sent off for retaliation following what he insisted was a high challenge by Stags’ sub Dylan Knight, who also went into the book.

Totton piled the pressure on the ten men and, after sending a header wide, Knight had a thumping effort cleared off the line with Phillips beaten.

Knight’s physical presence unsettled the visitors but, despite throwing the kitchen sink at the Mangos, Totton were cruelly denied a single point on an afternoon when they richly deserved all three.

AFC Totton: Pat O'Flaherty, Connor York, Ian Oliver, Alfy Whittingham (Liam Kimber, 79), Harry Medway, Dave Allen, Curtis Young, Charlie Gunson, Nathaniel Sherborne, Mark Gamble (Dylan Knight, 67), Matt Bozier. Subs (not used): Sam Roberts, Adam Wilde.

Referee: Marcus Carmichael.

Attendance: 262