THE battle for the Sydenhams Premier Division title is going to the wire.

Portland United are still in the hunt after overcoming Team Solent 2-0 this evening.

It puts the Islanders two points behind leaders Moneyfields with one game to go.

Overshadowing it all is a possible three-point deduction for the Portsmouth table-toppers. 

Moneys are still waiting on the outcome of an appeal to the FA after being found guilty of fielding an ineligible player.

Both clubs are at home to mid-table opposition on Saturday - Moneys hosting Newport IoW, while Portland welcome Graham Kemp's Bemerton Heath Harlequins to Grove Corner.

First-half goals from Ryan McKechnie and Jamie Beasley carried Portland to victory tonight, spurred on by a crowd of 231 in Dorset.

The Blues had two good chances within 30 seconds of each other in the opening period to gain an early lead.

First a sweeping ball found Jamie Beasley who fired a shot straight at player-manager James Taylor in the Students’ goal.

From the resulting corner, the ball was floated towards Island skipper Lewis Whyton, whose header was scrambled away to safety.

On 12 minutes Solent should have been ahead. Tyrell Mitford delivered a free-kick into the path of striker Curtis Thorn, who should have done better but failed to sort his feet out.

Jamel Wiseman then fired into the side netting as the Blues continued to live dangerously.

But on 21 minutes the home side took a vital lead. A cross from the right was brought down by Ryan McKechnie, whose shot on the turn deflected into the bottom corner.

A moment of quality from Beasley on 37 minutes made it 2-0 to the Blues. He shrugged off a couple of defenders and hit a screamer into the top corner to send the home fans wild.

Just short of the hour mark, Portland had a huge shout for a penalty waved away but, on 62 minutes, Solent were down to ten men.

Beasley nipped in ahead of Ellis White and the defender tripped him up. Referee Chris Simpson showed no hesitation in producing the red card.

With the man advantage, the Blues went in search of a third but Alex Godfrey’s snap-shot from 20 yards was just gathered by keeper Taylor.

The Solent keeper and manager was then given his marching orders in a bizarre incident four minutes from time.

He picked the ball up and appeared to barge into referee Simpson, who saw fit to brandish another red card at the death.