EASTLEIGH were dealt a knockout blow by Bruno in tonight’s 1-0 Vanarama National League defeat at Boreham Wood.

Portguese hitman Bruno Andrade floored them on 78 minutes - just when the Spitfires had enjoyed their most promising spell of the game.

After 20 cagey first-half minutes, the match came to life with The Wood having the better of the chances.

Ross Flitney, in for injured goalkeeper Graham Stack, did well to deny Dan Holman one-on-on one and then managed to push away a snap shot by dangerman Andrade who poked the rebound wide.

Gary McSheffrey had a shot blocked for Eastleigh and the Spitfires’ best chance of the half came on 36 minutes when Mark Yeates cut inside and brushed the crossbar from range.

Eastleigh were much improved after the break with Yeates menacing down the left.

Skipper Callum Howe headed wide from Yeates’ 59th-minute delivery and Danny Hollands tested ’keeper Grant Smith to give hope to Eastleigh’s 64 travelling fans in the 404 Meadow Park crowd.

But as the half began to drift, Andrade landed the killer punch. Ricky Shakes delivered for the 24-year-old former QPR and Woking man to thump the ball into the bottom corner.

Eastleigh had an opportunity to equalise when Yeates was fouled just outside the area, but Dean Wells headed his free-kick clear.

The Spitfires’ third defeat of the season leaves them 17th ahead of Saturday’s tea-time kick-off at sixth-placed Wrexham (5.30pm, BT Sport).

It was good news at least for Eastleigh’s under-18s who won 3-1 at Malmesbury Victoria to progress in the FA Youth Cup. AFC Totton’s young guns followed suit - Joe Murray netting a hat-trick in a 4-1 success at Salisbury.

There was another hat-trick for Totton at Winchester City where Charlie Gunson’s treble smoothed their path into the Bigfreebet.com Challenge Cup second round.

Nathaniel Sherborne capped a convincing win for the Stags after Riccardo Andrady had pulled one back for a vastly changed City side.

Also in the Challenge Cup, Matt Tubbs scored twice on his Weymouth debut as the Terras knocked out Wimborne Town 3-0, while Gosport Borough exited 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw with Moneyfields.

New signing Carl Walshe, Joe Butcher, Jordan Ngalo and Liam Triggs saw Blackfield & Langley oust Romsey Town 4-0 in the Sydenhams League Cup round two.

Lymington Town went one better in the same competition, blitzing Amesbury 5-0 through Owen Fee, Sam House (2) and Jake Long (2).

In the Sydenhams Premier Division, Fareham Town hit back from 1-0 down to beat Newport IW 2-1 courtesy of late goals from George Davis and Miles Gibson. Connor Kelly had put the Islanders in front.

Callum Tanner’s brace earned Fawley a precious 2-1 Sydenhams One win over Ringwood Town, but Folland Sports were hammered 9-0 at leaders Laverstock & Ford.

Lavvy's Lewis Wykes (2), Rob Gallagher (2), Ben Rankin (2), James Clifton, Olly Hoare and Scott Donaldson made it painful night for the Planemakers.