THE weather was the winner in the majority of the region’s football matches last weekend, as a large number of games fell foul to continued rain.

Romsey Town’s home clash with New Milton was one such game lost to the poor conditions, but they will be hoping the enforced rest will refresh them nicely for the visit of reigning league champions Poole Town tomorrow.

Some of the region’s teams did manage to play, however, with Mottisfont making light of the poor conditions to record their second consecutive 3-1 win in the Hampshire League.

After beating Horndean 3-1 at home the week before, with two goals from Guy Bewick and one from Alan Bundy, the ’Font were full of confidence ahead of their trip to take on Four Marks last Saturday.

The ’Font started brightly, with Robbie Abbott particularly prominent in midfield as he deputised for the injured Mike King.

Andy Clarke was causing Four Marks plenty of problems with his surging runs but neither side were really able to break down the other’s defence.

Mottisfont did start to press the home side back and, after 20 minutes, they went in front when a superb cross from Neil Stubbs was headed in at the far post by Abbott.

The home side tried to react but the ’Font kept up the pressure with Guy Bewick and Andy Clarke both forcing the home keeper into good saves.

Four Marks went close through Mike Heffernan before a nasty clash of heads between Bewick and the Four Marks’ centre half saw the home defender subbed off and taken to hospital.

Bewick then rubbed salt into Four Marks’ wounds with a sweet strike from 25 yards into the corner of the net to put the visitors two up.

At the start of the second half the home side fought back, drawing a good save from Mitch Wellesley-Davies in the visitor’s net.

However, they soon grabbed a goal back when a ball into the box was not dealt with and Wayne Dryer converted easily.

For the next 15 minutes the home side got on top but they came up against a rock like defence of Alan Smith, Danny Belbin and a captain’s performance from Phil Hunt.

The ’Font then scored a disputed third when the home defence thought Bewick was offside.

However, the referee deemed Bewick had started his run in his own half and he went on to round the keeper and score.

In the latter part of the game it looked as if the ’Font might add to their total, but the home keeper made a cracking stop from a Steve Carr effort.

Mottisfont have a derby with Michelmersh and Timsbury this weekend.

Stockbridge were another side who beat the weather, but, unfortunately, they went down 4-3 at home to Fleet Spurs in their Wessex League Division One clash.

Stockbridge totally dominated the play in the first period, playing some slick football, and they deservedly took the lead on fifteen minutes when a corner from Ryan Boare was headed home by Dave Allen. Boare had a chip well saved and Chris Payne had an effort tipped over the bar but the the home side made it 2-0 when the Fleet keeper could only push out an effort from the left by Jack Hutchings and Payne was on hand to slide the ball into the back of the net.

Stockbridge had dominated the half but Fleet were given a lifeline when they netted a free kick just before the break.

Fleet struck again to level the scores early in the second half and, spurred on by their success, Fleet now looked the most dangerous side.

They took the lead for the first time on 65 minutes but, ten minutes later, Stockbridge were awarded a penalty and Payne made no mistake from the spot to level the scores.

Just when it looked like ’Bridge had salvaged something from a game they should have wrapped up before half time, Fleet netted a late winner to leave the home players and fans shellshocked. Tomorrow, ’Bridge host Petersfield.