A&E evacuated due to weed killer

North Staffordshire Hospital's emergency department was evacuated

North Staffordshire Hospital's emergency department was evacuated

First published in National News © by

A hospital was forced to evacuate a busy accident and emergency department over a bottle of weed killer.

Fire crews were called to University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke-on-Trent just before 7pm yesterday after a child was brought in suffering from an eye irritation.

Staff called the fire service as a precaution to identify the substance affecting the child and to ensure no hazardous material had been brought into the hospital.

Firefighters, who evacuated the department as a precaution, later identified the source of the irritation to be a domestic weed killer.

Simon Craythorne, station manager with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service, said the parent of the child had brought the bottle of weed killer into the hospital.

The parent and child were "decontaminated" and the weed killer removed from the hospital.

A spokesman for the hospital said it was standard procedure to evacuate an area when an incident arose involving a questionable substance.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:10pm Sat 26 Jul 14

duckface08 says...

What are we coming to. Put a man in a uniform and he becomes a zombie who will obey any "ELF N' SAFETY" rules however stupid they may be.
What are we coming to. Put a man in a uniform and he becomes a zombie who will obey any "ELF N' SAFETY" rules however stupid they may be. duckface08
  • Score: 5

4:36pm Sat 26 Jul 14

runwellian says...

Patients died at this hospital due to appalling care, now they evacuate the hospital over a bottle of liquid ... I always attend hospital with a bottle of liquid .... called water!

Given the child / parents had the bottle with them, were they so brainless / careless that they were unaware of the contents?

Wonders never cease and common sense never prevails ... especially at this hospital!
Patients died at this hospital due to appalling care, now they evacuate the hospital over a bottle of liquid ... I always attend hospital with a bottle of liquid .... called water! Given the child / parents had the bottle with them, were they so brainless / careless that they were unaware of the contents? Wonders never cease and common sense never prevails ... especially at this hospital! runwellian
  • Score: 4

5:09pm Sat 26 Jul 14

we-shall-see says...

Some years ago one of my kids got some kitchen cleaner in his eye - and the label on the bottle said quite specifically that is ingested etc, to take the bottle with you to hosp so they can identify the substance quickly and make the appropriate medical actions!!

How on earth could they evacuate the building over domestic weed killer, which most people would have in their sheds anyway? It's not like it's being used to make a bomb with in this instance!!
Some years ago one of my kids got some kitchen cleaner in his eye - and the label on the bottle said quite specifically that is ingested etc, to take the bottle with you to hosp so they can identify the substance quickly and make the appropriate medical actions!! How on earth could they evacuate the building over domestic weed killer, which most people would have in their sheds anyway? It's not like it's being used to make a bomb with in this instance!! we-shall-see
  • Score: 6

5:11pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Bangemup says...

Am I reading this right ? The whole A & E is evacuated because a child and parent turn up with a bottle of weedkiller ? Worried over hazardous material in hospitals , what about the radio active materials , x -rays , drugs in various forms .Has no one noticed all that stuff ! What Simon Craythorne, station manager and the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service needs is a large bottle of COMMON SENSE ,one spoonfull to be taken until all concerned can see sense and apply it !
Am I reading this right ? The whole A & E is evacuated because a child and parent turn up with a bottle of weedkiller ? Worried over hazardous material in hospitals , what about the radio active materials , x -rays , drugs in various forms .Has no one noticed all that stuff ! What Simon Craythorne, station manager and the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service needs is a large bottle of COMMON SENSE ,one spoonfull to be taken until all concerned can see sense and apply it ! Bangemup
  • Score: 5

12:20pm Sun 27 Jul 14

collos25 says...

It just goes to show how brainless some people are.
It just goes to show how brainless some people are. collos25
  • Score: 1

9:43pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Almeda11 says...

runwellian wrote:
Patients died at this hospital due to appalling care, now they evacuate the hospital over a bottle of liquid ... I always attend hospital with a bottle of liquid .... called water!

Given the child / parents had the bottle with them, were they so brainless / careless that they were unaware of the contents?

Wonders never cease and common sense never prevails ... especially at this hospital!
l agree, they don`t seem to know the meaning of the word "moderation"
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: Patients died at this hospital due to appalling care, now they evacuate the hospital over a bottle of liquid ... I always attend hospital with a bottle of liquid .... called water! Given the child / parents had the bottle with them, were they so brainless / careless that they were unaware of the contents? Wonders never cease and common sense never prevails ... especially at this hospital![/p][/quote]l agree, they don`t seem to know the meaning of the word "moderation" Almeda11
  • Score: 3
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree