PEOPLE in their swimwear were evacuated this afternoon after a fire at Romsey Rapids.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) said it was called to a small fire involving an electric hair dryer just after 1pm.

A crew from Romsey fire station removed the object.

HFRS is understood to have been alerted by the centre's automatic fire alarm, which went off at 1.02pm. The stop message came in at 1.15pm.

Several people took to social media immediately after the incident.

One woman tweeted: "Fire in the changing rooms of Romsey Rapids. Hubby and son had to evacuate in their swimwear."

Another person added: "Hairdryer on fire in the changing rooms. Everyone evacuated and fire on scene."

Staff at the popular facility in Southampton Road, Romsey, said they were too busy to discuss incident.