ROMSEY were thrashed 5-1 in the Wessex League Division 1 at home by Andover Town last weekend. 

Both teams are in indifferent form - the Bypass Boys have only one win in their last five, and Andover came into the fixture on the back of two cup defeats. 
The visitors made two enforced changes. Jordan Brooks missed the game through illness allowing Karl Steinborn-Busse to make his debut after his recent transfer from East Cowes whilst Waledin Ahmed was absent due to injury and replaced by the returning David Jerrard. 
As a healthy crowd settled to watch the game, Andover asserted themselves immediately looking threatening going forward and rarely giving the home side time on the ball. It wasn’t long until Tom Pattison made the pressure pay. Ben Emans, always dangerous down the left, beat the full back and crossed the ball for Pattison to tap home. Andover continued to come forward and it only looked a matter of time before they grabbed their second. Apart from the odd foray in the Andover defensive third, Romsey rarely threatened. Josh Bertie thought he had doubled the visitors lead but his goal was chalked off for offside. A very close call that left some of the travelling supporters disputing the linesman’s decision.
As the half wore on, you sensed Andover may be punished for not doubling their advantage. 
Indeed, half an hour in and Romsey equalised. Rattley found space on the left and beat Steinborn-Busse to level the game at one apiece. 
With Andover playing with the slope in the second half, the Town supporters were confident that they could make their dominance pay with further goals. Five minutes into the second half and Tom Pattison scored his second, heading in from an Emans cross to wrong foot the home keeper. 
Andover were grateful for Steinborn-Busse kept the visitors in front, saving at close range when it seemed a second goal for Romsey was inevitable. 
After this, it was all one-way traffic. The returning David Jerrard rifled in a fierce shot to put Andover 3-1 up after an hour before Emans took centre stage. His first an excellent strike as Andover hit Romsey on the break for the fourth before he cut in from the left and fired in for the fifth and final goal, and his second of the match.
There could be no complaints from the home side. A 5-1 victory underlined the dominance of Andover as they closed the gap on Romsey and ensured they stayed within touching distance of the leaders. On Tuesday, New Milton visit the Portway in a pivotal game where Andover need to keep winning and make sure their games in hand begin to count.
Romsey sit 11th in the table on 15 points from their 10 games, and travel to Ash United on Saturday.